Oct 19, 2017
This major was modified on November 1, 2016, to correct an error. CTAT 235 is now listed as an option under Restricted Elective Courses - Theory Courses.
Communication, Media & Theatre Arts Department - College of Arts and Sciences
Kathleen Stacey, Ph.D., Department Head (I)
Major Requirements: 30-34 hours
Students must earn a “C” or better grade in each required course for this major
Required Courses: 11 hours
One course from the following:
One course from the following:
Restricted Elective Courses: 16-18 hours
Production Courses: 6 hours
Six hours from the following, at least three hours must be at the 300- or 400-level:
Writing Courses: 3 hours
Three hours from the following:
Theory Courses: 6 hours
Six hours from the following, three hours must be at the 400-level:
Internship or Cooperative Education: 1-3 hours
This program requires a minor. Please contact your program adviser for a list of possible minors.
Writing Intensive Course
Each student must choose a writing intensive course as part of major completion requirements. Consult your advisor for course options.
Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.
Critical Graduation Information:
The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the on-line catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.
- Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
- Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
- Complete a Writing Intensive (WI) Course in your major.
- Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
- Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
- Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
- Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
- Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
- Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses, that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more that one major or minor.
- Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
- Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
- Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
- Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credits for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be reached in courses taken at EMU in each major and minor. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)
General Education Requirements:
EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available on the General Education section of the catalog: General Education
Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.
University Information: Consult the on-line catalog at catalog.emich.edu.