Sep 26, 2017
The MAT - English concentration is a full time, 43 credit-hour program that leans to initial teaching certification in high school English and grades 6-8. The program is designed for qualified students to begin in the summer semester and finish at the end of the following summer semester. The program is intended for students with a BA or BS in English, or an English related field, who wish to earn a State of Michigan teacher certificate.
- Meet the Graduate School admission requirements;
- Hold a 2.75 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate work or 3.3 GPA in 12 hours or more of work at the graduate level or a minimum 50th percentile on the Graduate Record Examination writing. International students must have a minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL;
- For Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education (ECE) , elementary education, middle level education, secondary education, curriculum and instruction, and for students in educational media and technology who are pursuing the NP endorsement: hold a valid teaching credential. For international students who do not intend to teach in the United States, this requirement can be waived. Teaching certification is NOT required for the programs Master of Arts in Educational Psychology (EPDL) , Master of Arts in Social Foundations of Education (SFND) , or for students in Master of Arts in Educational Media and Technology (EDMT) not pursuing the NP endorsement;
- Furnish an analysis of professional goals written by the candidate. This analysis should include a description of how the chosen degree program will help meeting the selected goals and how the candidate’s life experiences, accomplishments and interests will contribute to his or her success in the program; and
- Request and have submitted two letters of recommendation that address the candidate’s professional commitment, experience and potential. The transcripts, analysis of goals and letters of recommendation should give evidence of potential for graduate-level scholarship.
Additional Admission Criteria:
The following are additional qualifications for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching - Secondary English Concentration:
- An undergraduate degree in English or English-related field from an accredited college or university.
- a minimum of 28 semester hours in English, or English-related, coursework that includes all of the following:
- Children’s Literature
- Composition or Creative Writing
- Passing scores on all sections of the MTTC Basic Skills Test.
- Attendance of an MAT orientation meeting and completion of an on-demand writing assessment.
- Signed statement regarding civil/criminal conviction(s)
W. Douglas Baker
English Language & Literature
612 Pray Harrold
MAT Core Professional Studies in Education: 31 Hours
Content Courses: 15 Hours
Master of Arts in Teaching Concentrations
For other Master of Arts in Teaching Concentrations please click here
Undergraduate Courses for Graduate Credit: English Language and Literature
The following courses may be elected for graduate credit. A maximum of nine hours of approved 400-level course work may be permitted in the earning of any graduate degree.
If you intend to enroll in any of the following undergraduate courses for graduate credit, you must submit a request form to the Graduate School to receive permission before enrolling in the course; otherwise, you will receive undergraduate credit.