Mar 18, 2018
This degree is designed for persons seeking an advanced degree in studio art.
Applicants should see the Graduate School for general admission information and procedures. Applicants for admission to the M.A. degree program in Studio Art must have an undergraduate degree with a major in art, with a minimum grade point average of 2.8 in art classes; meet degree admission standards of the Graduate School; and submit the following materials for review -
- Graduate School Application supported by official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate credit at each institution attended.
- School of Art & Design Application (submitted via Slideroom) including the following;
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Letter of Intent that concisely expresses the applicant’s goals and objectives as an artist/designer and the reason(s) for pursuing graduate study. The statement should also reference the artwork submitted and clarify how its content pertains to the applicant’s objectives/goals.
- A portfolio of 12-15 images, videos, and/or audio files of the applicant’s studio work, with a corresponding list stating title, medium, size, and date of completion for each artwork submitted.
Portfolios and materials must be submitted to the School of Art & Design by April 1st for Summer and Fall admission and by December 1st for Winter admission.
Michael Reedy, M.F.A. | 114 Ford Hall | 734.487.1268 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The graduate advisor will meet with each student to construct a program of study. Students should follow closely the Graduate School requirements for “Application for Diploma.” Students whose degree program includes a final exhibition of work must apply for gallery space one semester prior to the proposed exhibition.
At the end of 10 hours taken in the studio program, the M.A. committee will review the work of each M.A. student and either allow the student to continue or formally ask the student to withdraw from the program. Individual passing grades assigned by a student’s instructor(s) during the first 10 hours in the M.A. degree program studio program shall not be construed as a guarantee that any student will be granted continuation in the M.A. program beyond the initial 10 hours of study in the program, since the 10-hour review by the M.A. committee is based upon a de-novo review of the student’s entire first 10 hours of work in his or her M.A. studio program, electives taken and performance in the 10-hour review. Further, no student may rely on statements by faculty or other agents of the University that would suggest, even remotely, that the student is ensured continued enrollment in the M.A. program prior to a review and recommendation by the M.A. committee.
Degree Requirements: 30 hours
The M.A. in studio art requires the completion of 30 hours of course work to be distributed among program courses, elective courses and cognate courses as follows:
Required Courses: 6 hours
Studio Concentration: 14 hours
A series of courses chosen in consultation with an advisor in one of the following areas:
- Graphic Design
Art Elective Courses: 4 hours
Four hours selected from courses outside the area of concentration. (Courses may be grouped, in consultation with an area advisor/graduate coordinator, with cognates to form a minor concentration in art.)
Cognate Courses: 6 hours
Six hours selected from art and/or other areas in consultation with an advisor.