Mar 20, 2018
Adviser: Decky Alexander, MFA
This terminal degree program prepares qualified students for careers involving drama/theatre for developmental purposes, as well as theatre arts for the young. Required core courses are supplemented by elective and cognate courses to achieve a well-rounded knowledge of develomental drama and theatre for the young.
- Meet the Graduate School admission requirements and be accepted into the program by the department;
- Have a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75, or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate program if the bachelor’s degree was earned before 1975; an overall GPA of 3.0 is required if the bachelor’s degree was earned since 1975. Exceptions to this requirement can be made if at least 15 hours of graduate work have already been earned with a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Send samples of previous work and letters of recommendation;
- Interview with at least one program faculty member;
- Possess an appropriate foundation in undergraduate studies, with relevant extra-academic experiences taken into account, for the specific graduate focus chosen; and
- In the case of international students, have a minimum TOEFL score (see the Admissions web site at www.emich.edu/admissions for minimum scores).
- Early in their graduate work, prepare an official program of study inconsultation with an assigned graduate adviser and file it with the Office of Records and Registration;
- Meet all conditions stipulated upon entry into the program; and
- Complete, with an overall GPA of at least 3.0, a minimum of 60 hours of approved course work beyond the bachelor’s degree, or a minimum of 30 hours beyond an appropriate master’s degree, as identified in the official program of study.
The M.F.A. in drama/theatre for the young requires the completion of 60 hours of course work to be distributed among required courses, required research courses, elective courses and internship courses as follows:
Required Courses: 27 hours
Required Reasearch Courses: 8 hours
Elective Courses: 15 hours
Fifteen hours selected in consultation with the adviser from with in the department and from other departments.
Internship: 10 hours
*Error in catalog. These courses were listed in error. The correct courses are listed below.
**THIS REQUIREMENT WILL CHANGE FROM 10 HOURS TO 6 HOURS, EFFECTIVE WINTER 2010.