Jul 23, 2018  
2009-2011 Undergraduate Catalog 

The Undergraduate Experience - Registration & Grading

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Registration and Grading


Academic Year


The academic year is divided into fall and winter semesters of 15 weeks each, a spring session of either six or seven-and-one-half weeks and a summer session of either six or seven and one-half weeks, dependent on course selection. The new student may be admitted to the University for any semester or session. The University calendar is located on the General Information page of this catalog.

Evening courses and Extended Programs and Educational Outreach courses permit scheduling options within each semester or session. Two-week workshops and weekend seminars provide additional course credit opportunities.

Academic Course Load


Academic course load is the number of hours that a student carries in a semester or session. In the fall and winter semesters, the recommended full-time course load is 12-16 hours (15 with student teaching). In the seven-and-one-half week spring and summer sessions, it is six to eight hours, and in the six-week spring and summer sessions, it is six hours. Fall and winter students must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours to qualify as full time for University purposes, including financial aid. For the spring and summer semesters, the minimum full-time load is six credit hours for financial aid or other purposes.

Occasionally an increased academic load is found to be necessary or desirable. Before registering for more than the recommended hours, the student is asked to consult an adviser. The following two restrictions are placed on increased academic load:

  1. First semester freshmen may not take more than the recommended full-time academic load without special permission from the Academic Advising Center, 301 Pierce.
  2. Students on academic probation may not take more than the recommended full-time academic load without special permission from the Academic Advising Center.

Qualified continuing students taking over 19 credit hours should consult carefully with an academic adviser. The registration system will prevent registration for more than 19 credit hours (12 in spring or summer). Request assistance at the Records and Registration service counter to add classes in excess of 19 credits.

No person is allowed to attend class unless officially registered on a credit or audit basis with appropriate fees paid or, as full-time staff or faculty auditing under the staff benefits program. No credit will be given for work in courses not officially enrolled in by the mid-point of the term or session.

Auditing Courses


Courses may be audited subject to the approval of the head of the department offering the course. Audit applications may be obtained at, and returned to, the Office of Records and Registration, 303 Pierce Hall. No credit hours or grade points are awarded for a class audit. However, registration and payment of all fees is required for the class. Tuition and fees for auditing are the same as for the course in which credit is elected. Check the University calendar for deadlines to declare or remove audits.

Under provisions of the University staff benefits program, full-time staff, faculty and faculty spouses may audit classes by completing an approval process initiated at the Benefit Programs Office, McKenny. These students do not register for class and there is no transcript of their attendance.

Credit Hours/Class Levels/Course Numbers


Credits are determined by the units of work completed. One credit hour is the credit granted in a course that meets 50 minutes per week for 15 weeks. Credits earned on the term or quarter-hours basis at other institutions are converted to EMU credit hours by multiplying by two-thirds.

Class levels are determined by the academic hours completed as follows:

Class Semester Hours
Freshman 0-24
Sophomore 25-55
Junior 56-84
Senior 85 or over
Administrative class levels that are not affected by academic hours completed:
Guest GS
Nondegree ND
Second bachelor’s SB
Postdegree teaching certificate TC
Course numbers indicate the academic level of the course as follows:
Course Number Level of Difficulty*
100-199 Introductory
200-299 Intermediate
300-499 Advanced


*Introductory courses are appropriate for students who have had no course work at the University level in the discipline in question. Intermediate courses presuppose that the students enrolled are familiar with and able to work with the content or methods, or both, of the discipline as presented in the introductory course. Advanced courses presume that students enrolled are familiar with and able to work with content, concepts and methodology of the discipline at a level appropriate to that of undergraduate majors in the discipline.

Courses numbered 500-599 are intended primarily for graduate students but are open in some cases to seniors. To be eligible, an undergraduate student must have successfully completed 85 hours or more of undergraduate credit, have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better, and receive approval from the instructor and the Graduate School. Request forms are available at the Office of Records and Registration, 303 Pierce Hall. The maximum number of graduate hours that an advanced undergraduate can take is 15. Courses numbered in the 600s and 700s are exclusively for graduate students. Should an undergraduate student register in a 600 or higher class, they will be dropped without prior notice.



Prerequisites designated in the catalog description of courses state requirements that must be completed with credit or are necessary to the understanding of the course selected. Any student not meeting prerequisites or other restrictions, unless waived by instructor’s permission, may be prevented from registering for or required to drop the course. Courses at the 200-, 300- and 400-levels that carry no prerequisites are taught at the academic levels described above.

Final Examinations


Final examinations are given by instructors to help evaluate a student’s achievement in a course. Whether or not that evaluation shall include the final examination shall be determined by the instructor in line with departmental and University policy. If a final examination is not given, the scheduled examination period shall be used for other class activity.

If a final examination is given, students shall take the examination with their own class and at the hour indicated on the examination schedule. Failure to take the examination at the scheduled time will result in a grade of E in the course, except when the requisite conditions for granting an I are present.

If a student finds that he/she has three examinations scheduled on one day, he/she may request the instructor of the class having the first examination of the day to arrange to offer the examination at another time. If he/she finds that he/she has four examinations scheduled for one day, he/she may request the instructors of the first two examinations to make arrangements so that no more than two are scheduled in one day. He/she may appeal to the head of the department in which the course is offered if a satisfactory solution is not reached.

Students who for religious reasons find that they are not able to follow the examination schedule should make special arrangements with their instructors. If arrangements are not satisfactory, a student may appeal to the head of the department in which the course is offered.

Any deviation from the student’s examination schedule, other than to limit the exams to two in one day or to observe religious mandates, must be approved in advance by both the instructor and the department head, and will be granted only in cases of extreme emergency.

Failure to take an examination at the scheduled time without prior arrangement will result in a grade of E in the course.



The grades used by the University, with their corresponding values in points, are as follows:

Grade Significance Grade points per credit hour
A Exceptionally high order 4.0
A-   3.7
B+   3.3
B Distinctly above the average 3.0
B-   2.7
C+   2.3
C Average 2.0
C-   1.7
D+   1.3
D Below Average 1.0
D-   0.7
E Unsatisfactory (denoting failure) 0.0
I Incomplete 0.0
CR Passing grade in credit/noncredit courses 0.0
NC Failing grade in credit/noncredit courses 0.0
S Passing grade in pass/fail elections 0.0
SC Credit for certification in student teaching courses 0.0
PN Passing grade in student teaching but not at level sufficient for certification 0.0
U Failing grade in pass/fail 0.0
UN Failing grade in student teaching elections 0.0
IP In Progress 0.0
W Withdrawal 0.0
2YR E Forgiven - out of school two years 0.0
AUD Audit 0.0
N No grade submitted 0.0

Credits earned by student teaching, credit/noncredit classes or pass/fail options are not accorded grade points.

An E grade will be assigned for any course when the student stops attending a class without officially withdrawing from the course. Credit for courses in which either E or U grades have been received can be earned only by repeating the course at Eastern Michigan University. See repeat policy for exceptions.

A W grade is assigned only when an official withdrawal has been completed. (See Withdrawals below.)



The pass/fail option is available to students who wish to experiment in an unfamiliar field without jeopardizing their grade point averages or for other reasons. Limitations to the option are:

  1. It may be exercised only by juniors and seniors who are in good academic standing (at least 2.0 at EMU).
  2. It may be applied only to free electives, that is, to courses which are outside the student’s major, minor, curriculum, general education requirements or a prerequisite to a required course.
  3. A maximum of six such courses may be applied toward graduation.
  4. Students shall indicate their intention to take a course by filing an application with the Academic Advising Center, 301 Pierce, prior to the end of the program adjustment period. Approval or denial is available in two working days.
  5. Students who elect to take a course on pass/fail may cancel the option and accept a letter grade up to the last day of class before the official University scheduled final examinations (the option for pass/fail may then be used for another course).
  6. The instructor will not be notified of the student’s election of this option. The regular letter grade reported by the instructor will be converted on grade reports and transcripts as follows:
    1. Grades of A, B, C or D, including D-, will be converted to S, and shall count as credit toward graduation.
    2. The grade of E will be converted to U, and shall not count toward graduation.
  7. A course taken under this option shall not be used in any way in the computation of the student’s grade point average. Thus, a pass/fail election shall not be approved for a course in which the student previously received a letter grade.

Students should be aware that for some scholarships offered by the University pass/fail courses are not considered part of the minimum required load for scholarship.

Students also should be fully aware of the possible implications of this option for acceptance into graduate schools and competition for financial aid. It has been ascertained that most graduate schools will accept students who have elected to take some courses on a pass/fail basis, but that if courses taken on this basis are sufficient in number on the transcript, Graduate School Examinations may be utilized to determine the student’s acceptability. Graduate schools, in general, do tend to favor those applicants who have good letter grades on their transcripts.

Credit/Noncredit Grading


A credit/noncredit option is utilized by departments in courses where the standard letter grades do not seem appropriate. Such courses will be designated as CR/NC in the class schedule book. All students taking such courses will receive either CR or NC in place of letter grades. Neither CR nor NC will have any effect on a student’s grade point average. Courses for which the CR is received will count towards graduation requirements, and there is no limit to the number of such courses that may be taken by an individual student. The CR/NC courses taken by students do not count in the number of pass-fail courses that can be elected.



An I (incomplete) grade is awarded only when a student has completed the majority of the work of a course and the student’s work has been of acceptable quality (C or better), but the required amount of work has not been completed because of illness, necessary absence or other satisfactory reasons. It is never applied to poor work or to absence f romclass by the student. The student must inform the instructor of the reason for the requested incomplete, and the instructor may at his or her discretion agree to the request.

An I grade must be removed within one calendar year from the end of the semester or session in which that grade was given. The time for removal of an I may be extended upon written recommendation of the instructor and approval of the dean of the college. Such extension will be granted only under unusual circumstances.

The initiative for conversion of an I to a letter grade rests with the student. If not converted to a grade by the end of the one-year period, the I will remain as a permanent part of the student’s academic record. Students and faculty are encouraged to establish a written agreement on the work and time needed to remove the incomplete.

Grade Changes


When a letter grade (excluding I for incomplete grade or IP for in progress grade) is posted to a student’s permanent record, it will be considered final unless an error was made in assigning the grade. Permitting a student to submit missing work or extra credit to improve a grade after the grade has been posted is not acceptable.

If an instructor error is identified, the instructor must file a grade change form, explaining the error. This form requires the approval of the department head. The appropriate dean will review and approve grade changes to ensure consistency with academic policies. All changes in letter grades (except from an I or IP grade) will require the signature of the dean of the college. The grade change is then submitted to and processed by personnel in the Office of Records and Registration. One year after the end of the relevant semester all grade changes from I or IP will require the permission of the dean of the college.

It is the responsibility of the student to call the instructor’s attention to a possible grading error in a timely manner, but not more than 12 months after the questionable grade is posted. Three years following the close of any term of enrollment, the student’s transcript will be considered to be the final indisputable record of academic achievement. Specifically, at the end of three years, grades are considered final, and no changes will be made to transcripts (e.g., no term or individual withdrawals, no grade omissions, no recalculated grades based on mathematical or clerical error, no incomplete removals). The only exception to this rule will be for master’s specialist and doctoral field-based research, internships and dissertation hours.



Students who meet the prerequisites and all other conditions for enrollment may repeat courses. All grades earned will be retained on the student’s permanent record, with repeats indicated. Credit and grade point calculations for repeated courses are determined by the following rules:

Credit Earned:

  1. Unless otherwise noted in the course description, credit for any repeated course (including all attempts at EMU and transfer credit granted) will apply only once toward all degree requirements.
  2. The rules below do not apply to courses (such as Independent Studies) that can be taken for credit more than once. Multiple attempts in such courses are not considered repeats, and all grades received will be used in determining the student’s grade point average. 
  3. A student who earned a passing grade in a course or who has previously received transfer credit for the course will lose the credit if he or she subsequently retakes the course and receives an E. If a student receives an Incomplete in the final attempt of a repeated course, the most recent earlier grade is the grade of record until the course work is completed and the I is replaced by the grade earned.

Repeated Courses and Grade Point Average (GPA):

  1. Courses that are dropped or from which a student has withdrawn are not counted as attempts for purposes of this policy.
  2. If a student repeats a course up to two times (for a total of three attempts), only the last grade received will be used in determining the student’s grade point average. As stated above, all course attempts with repeats indicated will remain on the permanent record, even if not used to determine the grade point average.
  3. There are no restrictions on the number of times that a student may repeat a course, however, the grades earned in the third and all subsequent attempts will be used in determining the student’s grade point average unless explicit permission to have previous grades for the course eliminated from the calculation is granted by the head of the department or director of the school in which the course is offered. The student must contact the department head or school director prior to the end of the semester in which the course is repeated to obtain this permission. Such permission is required for every attempt beyond the third.
  4. There are no restrictions on the number of different courses that a student may repeat, however, if a student repeats more than ten different courses, grades for ALL attempts (from the first on) for the eleventh and all subsequent courses will be used in determining the student’s grade point average unless explicit permission to repeat the course is granted by the Academic Standards Committee in advance. The student must contact the Academic Advising Center to request permission.
  5. Such permission is required for every attempt of every course beyond the tenth.
    A student repeating a course may not elect a Pass/Fail grading option if the grade of record for the course is a letter grade.

Transfer Courses as Repeats:

  1. If a student has credit for a course taken at EMU with a passing grade as the grade of record and subsequently transfers an equivalent course from another institution, the transfer credit will be treated as if it were another attempt at EMU, and the rules above will be applied. The grades received in previous attempts at EMU will not be used in determining the student’s grade point average provided the total number of attempts, including the transfer, does not exceed three (3) and this repeat does not exceed the limit of ten (10) repeated courses. (Note that students receive credit, but not grades for transfer courses, so no grade for the course would be used in determining the student’s grade point average in this case.)
  2. If the grade of record is a passing grade, but the transfer course constitutes the fourth or later attempt, or if the student has already repeated ten or more courses, the grades received at EMU will be used in determining the student’s grade point average as outlined in the previous section unless explicit permission is granted by the EMU Registrar to exclude the EMU grades once the transfer credit has been posted.
  3. Advance permission from the EMU Registrar is required for student who want to transfer credit for a course equivalent to a course that the student has taken at EMU and for which the grade of record is a failing grade.

Note: Second admission programs and graduate programs may calculate grade point averages according to their own internal rules; for example, many specify that grades received in all attempts be used in the calculation. This policy does not apply to those admissions processes.

Grade Point Average (GPA)


The scholarship index or grade point average is the total number of Eastern Michigan University grade points acquired divided by the total number of Eastern Michigan University credit hours taken that carry grade points. When a course is repeated, only the last grade is used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average.

Transfer credit from another accredited institution is allowed for all transferable courses in which a grade of C or better is received, but is not included in computation of the GPA.

Calculation of GPA for returning former students who have not attempted any college or University work for at least two calendar years does not include courses in which a grade of less than D- was assigned. E grades will be changed to 2YR to reflect academic forgiveness.

Academic Probation and Dismissal


If, at the end of any term of enrollment, an undergraduate’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, having previously been at or above 2.0 (or if the student is new to the University), that student will be placed on academic probation (P1). The student will then have three terms of enrollment (spring/summer count as one) to raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher. At any time that the student’s cumulative GPA reaches 2.0, the student will be restored to good academic standing (GO). Unless the cumulative GPA has been raised to 2.0 by the end of the third term of probation (P3), the student will be subject to academic dismissal.

Exceptions to this policy are as follows:

  1. Any student whose first term of probation is the result of a semester of all Es must earn better than 0.00 (all Es) in the first term of probation or face dismissal immediately.
  2. Students who have been readmitted (RA is equivalent to P1) after a dismissal will be placed on P2 after their first term if their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0. They will have two terms to raise their cumulative GPA average to 2.0 or they will face a second and final dismissal.
  3. All initial dismissal actions are subject to appeal. Procedures and deadlines for such appeals will be included in notices of academic dismissal sent to students at the conclusion of a term of enrollment. If an appeal is successful, the student will be reinstated (RN), which means the dismissal does not count. Students who are reinstated after an appeal will be given one more term to raise the GPA to 2.0 or they will be dismissed.

Students dismissed from the University for the first time may not attend Eastern Michigan University for one calendar year. They can then apply for readmission through the Academic Advising Center. Procedures and deadlines for readmission are available in the Academic Advising Center (301 Pierce Hall); contact the Assistant Director for Academic Actions. Students dismissed more than once (excluding reinstatement) are usually not eligible to return to the University. On occasion, when students have been away from the University for at least 10 years, a request may be submitted, through the Assistant Director for Academic Actions, to the Academic Standards Committee, who will make the final decision in such a case.

While remaining out of the University due to a dismissal, students may choose to attend another institution. Certain rules apply to course work taken elsewhere. Refer to the repeat policy in the catalog and consult with the Academic Advising Center on transfer of courses.

While on academic probation, a student may meet with the Assistant Director for Academic Actions or any adviser in the Academic Advising Center. In addition, students may seek help in developing successful strategies for academic performance through the Holman Learning Center, the Counseling Services Center and the Career Services Center.

Certain conditions are attached to an academic status of probation. Students on probation may not:

  • Enroll in more than the established maximum load for regular full-time status in any term of enrollment. For fall and winter, this would be 16 credits (15 credits if student teaching); in spring and summer, eight credits.
  • Enroll in education courses or courses that require admission to the College of Education.
  • Receive credit for graduate-level courses (500-level).
  • Take courses on Pass/Fail.

Drops/Withdrawals from Individual Classes


Drops/Withdrawals from Individual Classes

When withdrawal from a class, or from all classes, brings students’ academic loads below the minimum number of hours necessary to qualify as full-time students for University housing, scholarship aid, student loans or any other benefits they enjoy for which academic enrollment was a prerequisite, the University may, at its option, take any or all of the following steps:

  1. Deny permission to withdraw.
  2. Cancel the benefits as of that date.
  3. Declare the student ineligible for present and/or future benefits of a similar nature.
  4. Deny permission to re-enroll in subsequent semesters.

Drops/withdrawals from class are permitted according to the following schedule (fall and winter):


  • First eight days: All student-initiated drops during this period may be processed through the registration system. Such drops are not recorded on the student’s permanent record.


  • Ninth day through tenth week: all student-initiated withdrawals are accepted automatically and recorded as a W (however, freshmen must check with the Academic Advising Center before withdrawing from courses). A withdrawal may be processed through the registration system or by submitting a withdrawal form to the Office of Records and Registration, 303 Pierce Hall.

Administrative Withdrawal

  • After 10th week until beginning of final exam period: students can withdraw only if they have specific extenuating circumstances, of recent occurrence, which clearly prevent them from completing the course in question. Withdrawals are not automatic and documentation is required. Make application for Administrative Withdrawal at the Academic Advising Center, 301 Pierce Hall. The decision will be communicated to the student and the instructor in question. Students must not stop attending class until they have received notification that the administrative withdrawal has been approved. If a student stops attending class and does not take the final exam without being withdrawn, University policy requires that the instructor assign a grade of E for the course.

These procedures and University withdrawal procedures also apply to spring and summer sessions, though the timeframe is more condensed. The exact withdrawal and deadline dates are printed in the current Class Schedule Book for the session concerned.

Withdrawals from the University


The following University procedure is subject to change in accordance with regulatory changes initiated by the United States Department of Education.

A credit adjustment of 100 percent of tuition and fees for the fall and winter semesters, less a registration fee, will be made to those students who completely cancel their registration or withdraw from the University through the eighth business day of the semester. For the spring and summer semesters, a 100-percent credit adjustment, will be made through the first four business days of the semester. Actual dates are printed in the Class Schedule Book for each semester.

A credit adjustment for total withdrawals after the eighth day of fall and winter semesters, or the fourth day of spring and summer semesters, will be made according to the following schedule:

Withdrawal by the following day of the semester

Credit Adjustment Fall/Winter Spring/Summer
50-percent 19th 10th
25-percent 38th 19th
0-percent Last day before finals Last day before finals

Actual dates are printed in the class schedule book for each semester and session. No credit adjustments will be made after the above stipulated dates.

Retroactive Withdrawal

Retroactive withdrawal from the University may be requested by a student when unexpected circumstances arise after the completion of classes for a term. Normally, the request will be considered only for the preceding term.

The retroactive withdrawal policy is dependent on one or both of the following reasons:

  1. Administrative. Through an administrative problem or error, the student received an E grade.
  2. Mental or physical stress. Subsequent to awarding the term grades, the student claims that severe physical or psychological stress was present during the semester. Documentation must be presented by or on behalf of the student, and a consultation may be required. In this case, the decision will affect all the classes the student was registered for during the term in question. In cases of severe mental or physical stress, it is usually assumed that students are so incapacitated they were not able to carry on with University responsibilities.

In either situation, the student must initiate the request at the Academic Advising Center, 301 Pierce Hall. Upon review of the documented evidence and possible further consultation, the director or designee will recommend action to the vice president for undergraduate studies or designee.

The approval of a retroactive withdrawal does not constitute approval of a tuition refund. Grades of W will be posted on the official academic record.

Student Conduct/Grievances

Grade grievance procedures may be obtained from the academic department involved. Student employment grievance procedures may be obtained from the Career Services Center, third floor, King Hall.