Oct 22, 2019  
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog 

Master of Arts in Drama/Theatre for the Young (DTY)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Communication, Media and Theatre Arts Programs

Adviser: Christine Tanner, Ph.D.
102 Quirk Hall 

This program prepares students to enter careers involving work in drama/theatre and communications with and for children, young people and intergenerational groups.

Admission Requirements
Applicants must:

  1. Meet the admission requirements for the Graduate School and be accepted into the program by the department;
  2. Have a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 2.5, or 2.75 in the last half of the undergraduate program;
  3. Possess an appropriate foundation in undergraduate studies with relevant extra-academic experiences taken into account for the specific graduate focus chosen; andIn the case of international students, have a minimum TOEFL score (see the Admissions web site at www.emich.edu/admissions for minimum scores).

Program Requirements Students must:

  1. Early in their graduate work, prepare an official program of study in consultation with an assigned graduate adviser and file it with the Office of Records and Registration;
  2. Meet all conditions stipulated upon entry into the program;
  3. Complete, with an overall GPA of at least 3.0, a minimum of 30 hours of approved course work as identified in the official program of study.

Course Requirements:

The Master of Arts in Drama/Theatre for the Young requires the completion of 30 hours of course work to be distributed among required courses and elective courses as follows:

Elective Courses: 25-27 hours

Twenty-five to twenty-seven hours from within the CMTA department and/or from other departments are to be selected in consultation with the student’s graduate adviser.

Program Total: 30 hours

Undergraduate Courses for Graduate Credit: Communication, Media and Theatre Arts

The following courses may be elected for graduate credit. A maximum of nine hours of approved 400-level course work may be permitted in the earning of any graduate degree.

If you intend to enroll in any of the following undergraduate courses for graduate credit, you must submit a request form to the Graduate School to receive permission before enrolling in the course; otherwise, you will receive undergraduate credit.

Additional 400-level undergraduate courses also are available to graduate students under special circumstances. On this matter the student should have a clear understanding with the department and the Graduate School before expecting to use such courses toward a master of arts or a master of fine arts in the Department of Communication, Media and Theatre Arts.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Communication, Media and Theatre Arts Programs