Jul 12, 2020  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 

International Affairs Major

This curriculum (which counts as a combined major and minor) provides students with an opportunity to develop an understanding of both area and global issues. It is intended to prepare students for participation in a global society, including work with government, business and non-government organizations. It is intended for students who are interested in diplomacy, international affairs and international service.

There are two tracks within this curriculum: Cognate Option A does not have a foreign language requirement and is directed to students who either already possess an adequate level of foreign language proficiency or who anticipate employment in which such proficiency is not expected. This curriculum requires 54 hours. Cognate Option B includes a foreign language requirement and is strongly recommended for individuals who are seeking work outside the United States or work in which some familiarity with foreign language may be an asset such as the foreign service. This curriculum requires 61-64 credit hours.

Department Information:

Political Science Department - College of Arts & Sciences

Arnold Fleischmann, Ph.D., Department Head

601 Pray Harrold
(734) 487-3113

Department Website

General Education Requirements:

For specific requirements refer to the General Education Program .

Cognate Option A: 24 hours

Students will select courses from at least two disciplines from an approved list of courses in History, Economics, Anthropology, Geography, African American Studies and World Language. If a foreign language is selected, students will consult with a World Languages advisor to select an appropriate sequence of classes.

Cognate Option B: 19-23 hours

Students will take an appropriate sequence of courses in a foreign language - French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic or Russian - and will select four courses from two disciplines from an approved list of courses in history, economics, anthropology and geography.

Capstone: 3 hours

Students may select one of the following options:

Cognate Courses

Minor Requirements:

This program does not require a minor.

Program Total:

Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.

Critical Graduation Information:

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the online catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement. A Bachelor of Arts degree requires completion of one year of college credit in a world language.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (WI)  Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses, that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more that one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credit for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be reached in courses taken at EMU in each major and minor. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)
General Education Requirements:

EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available on the General Education section of the catalog: General Education  

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.

University Information: Consult the online catalog at catalog.emich.edu.