May 27, 2018
The focus of this certificate is learning key concepts in monitoring, evaluation and sustaining quality improvement efforts in health care settings. Course work examines theories, strategies and research related to the quality improvement in health care systems. In the practicum, the student is given an opportunity to synthesize previous learning and function in an role of quality improvement specialist under the mentorship of select expert preceptors.
Program Coordinator: Bobbi Towne, MSN, RN
Program Director: Laurie Blondy, PhD, JD, RN
To be admitted to the Graduate Certificate Program in EMU School of Nursing, students must first meet requirements set by the Graduate School as described in the Eastern Michigan University Graduate Catalog. Applicants are considered for selection into the Graduate Certificate Program upon completion of the following:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Have at least a cumulative 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) college GPA.
- International students must have a minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL or 77 on the Michigan English Language Ability Battery (MELAB) or 6.5 on IETLTS, or 53 on Pearson Test of English. (These scores are the same requirements as the EMU Graduate School.)
All documents above should be submitted directly to the Graduate School Office of Admissions, along with any transcript from other universities or colleges previously attended.
- Complete an application for admission to EMU at www.emich.edu/admissions Admission to the university takes an average of 2-3 weeks.
- Submit official transcripts from each educational institution you have attended so your EMU admission application can be processed.
- Select the program code: NUR/MSN-QIHC for the Teaching in Health Care Certificate Program on your application.
Elective Courses: 3 hours
Choose one option from the following:
Certificate Total: 12 hours
For those students, pursuing an MSN degree, this certificate requires a separate application fee to be admitted to the program. A separate application for graduation is also required upon completion of the required courses
This program is offered at an EMU off-campus location. For a list of locations, please click here .