Aug 24, 2019
New Concentration, effective Fall 2013
The MAT - English concentration is a full time, 43 credit-hour program that leans to initial teaching certification in high school English and grades 6-8. The program is designed for qualified students to begin in the summer semester and finish at the end of the following summer semester. The program is intended for students with a BA or BS in English, or an English related field, who wish to earn a State of Michigan teacher certificate.
- An undergraduate degree in English or English-related field from an accredited college or university.
- a minimum of 28 semester hours in English, or English-related, coursework that includes all of the following:
- Children’s Literature
- Composition or Creative Writing
- Minimum grade point average of 2.75 in at least the last half of the undergraduate coursework.
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from a college professor.
- Passing scores on all sections of the MTTC Basic Skills Test.
- Attendance of an MAT orientation meeting and completion of an on-demand writing assessment.
- Signed statement regarding civil/criminal conviction(s)
W. Douglas Baker
English Language & Literature
612 Pray Harrold
MAT Core Professional Studies in Education: 31 Hours
Content Courses: 15 Hours
Masters of Arts-Teaching Concentrations
For other Masters in Teaching Concentrations please click here
Undergraduate Courses for Graduate Credit: English Language and Literature
The following courses may be elected for graduate credit. A maximum of nine hours of approved 400-level course work may be permitted in the earning of any graduate degree.
If you intend to enroll in any of the following undergraduate courses for graduate credit, you must submit a request form to the Graduate School to receive permission before enrolling in the course; otherwise, you will receive undergraduate credit.