Jun 24, 2019
Bring a specialty to your degree with a graduate certificate in African American Studies. Gain a special insight into American cultural diversity from a scholarly perspective of the life and culture of a people who have faced historical and institutionalized barriers and yet contributed much to society.
Studies in this field delve into history, politics, culture and economics, and create an environment for the student to develop a unique sensitivity to issues as they pertain to race and cultural diversity.
This program is designed to prepare and equip students with:
- Advanced research skills
- Diversity related knowledge
- The ability to develop social policies and cultural competencies applicable to their careers
- Knowledge of epistemological issues in African American Studies
Many professionals with advanced degrees in a variety of educational arenas may find this program a means of achieving an edge above the competition. This certificate complements careers in a wide variety of fields, including education, social work, health care and political science. Those with careers in public policy and administration, economic and political welfare, public relations, community outreach, social services, human resources and cultural diversity may find this certificate particularly helpful.
Courses can be completed either at EMU–Detroit or at EMU’s main campus in Ypsilanti. All courses are designed for the working professional and are offered on weekday evenings and online.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution;
- An undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher;
- A statement of goals demonstrating how the graduate certificate program will help the student’s professional goals; and
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation.
Click here to apply!
Africology & African American Studies - College of Arts and Sciences
Victor O Okafor, Ph.D.
African American Studies
620 Pray Harrold
The certificate in African American Studies requires the completion of 15 hours of course work to be distributed among required courses as follows:
Graduate Certificate in African American Studies
Required Courses: 15 hours
Nine hours from the following:
- Any other approved graduate-level course
Certificate Total: 15 hours