Nov 13, 2019
Revised Program, effective Fall 2015
This program, for students who have completed undergraduate degrees with majors or minors in communication or speech, prepares them for careers demanding sophisticated knowledge of human communication or for doctoral graduate work. Interpersonal, small-group, organizational, intercultural and speech communication are stressed. Students are encouraged to take six hours of cognate courses as part of the required program.
Communication, Media & Theatre Arts - College of Arts and Sciences
- Meet the admission requirements for the Graduate School and be accepted into the program by the department;
- Have at least a minor or the equivalent in communication or speech;
- Have a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 2.7 (exceptions on recommendation of area faculty); and
- In the case of international students, have a minimum TOEFL score (see the Admissions web site at www.emich.edu/admissions for minimum scores).
Click here to apply!
Program Requirements: 30 hours
The M.A. in Communication requires students to complete the following:
- Early in their graduate work, prepare an official program of study in consultation with an assigned graduate advisor and file it with the Office of Records and Registration;
- Successfully meet all conditions stipulated upon entry into the program; and
- Complete, with an overall GPA of at least 3.0, a minimum of 30 hours of approved course work as identified in the official program of study.
The required 30 hours are to be distributed among required courses, elective courses and cognate courses as follows:
Required Courses: 9 hours
Restricted Elective Courses: 15-21 hours
15-21 Hours selected from 600 level CTAC courses in consultation with the graduate advisor.
Degree Requirement: 0-6 hours
Students will choose one of the following three options:
Thesis Option: 6 hours
Students who choose this option will take CTAC 692 twice
- CTAC 692 - Degree Requirement 3 hrs
Project Option: 3 hours
Students who choose this option will take CTAC 692 once
- 3 hrs
Exam Option: 0 hours
Students may also elect to take a program exam, this option does not require a credit bearing course.