Jul 21, 2019
The MAT - Secondary Biology Concentration is a full-time, 43 credit hour program, which leads to initial teaching certification in high school biology and an endorsement to science in grades 6-8. The program is designed for qualified students to begin in the Spring semester and finish at the end of the following Summer semester. The program is intended for students with a BA or BS in biology or a biology-related field who wish to earn a State of Michigan teacher certificate.
- Meet the Graduate School admission requirements;
- Hold a 2.75 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate work or 3.3 GPA in 12 hours or more of work at the graduate level or a minimum 50th percentile on the Graduate Record Examination writing. International students must have a minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL;
- For Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education (ECE) , elementary education, middle level education, secondary education, curriculum and instruction, and for students in educational media and technology who are pursuing the NP endorsement: hold a valid teaching credential. For international students who do not intend to teach in the United States, this requirement can be waived. Teaching certification is NOT required for the programs Master of Arts in Educational Psychology (EPDL) , Master of Arts in Social Foundations of Education (SFND) , or for students in Master of Arts in Educational Media and Technology (EDMT) not pursuing the NP endorsement;
- Furnish an analysis of professional goals written by the candidate. This analysis should include a description of how the chosen degree program will help meeting the selected goals and how the candidate’s life experiences, accomplishments and interests will contribute to his or her success in the program; and
- Request and have submitted two letters of recommendation that address the candidate’s professional commitment, experience and potential. The transcripts, analysis of goals and letters of recommendation should give evidence of potential for graduate-level scholarship.
Click here to apply!
Additional Admission Criteria:
The following are additional qualifications for admission to the MAT - Secondary Biology Concentration Program:
- An undergraduate degree in biology or a biology-related field from an accredited college or university;
- A minimum of 28 semester hours in biology coursework is required and must include the following:
- Two semesters of Introductory Chemistry;
- One semester of Organic Chemistry;
- One semester of Biochemistry (or a second semester of Organic Chemistry);
- Two semesters of Introductory Physics;
- One semester of Calculus or Statistics;
- Pass on all sections of the MTTC Basic Skills Test;
- Freedom from civil/criminal convictions, academic probation, or administrative probation; ICHAT Criminal Background Check and Statement of Civil/Criminal Convictions; For any civil/criminal conviction provide a copy of Judgment of Sentence, Registrar of Actions, or Certificate of Conviction and a written explanation of the offense; Applications of students with civil/criminal convictions will be carefully reviewed and may take longer to process.
Teacher Education - College of Education
Please contact Department for advisor information.
MAT Core Professional Studies in Education: 31 Hours
Biology Content Courses: 9 hours
Master of Arts in Teaching Concentrations
For other Master of Arts in Teaching Concentrations please click here