Jul 20, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog This is not the most recent catalog version; be sure you are viewing the appropriate catalog year.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors

Most students select either a chemistry major and biology minor or a biology major and chemistry minor as preparation for admission to dental school. The exact requirements for a particular dental school can be found in the publication Admission Requirements of U.S. and Canadian Dental Schools, available in the office of the predentistry advisor.

The majority of pre-dental students complete four years of undergraduate work, earning a B.S. degree. Since admission to dental school is very competitive, it is recommended that alternative career plans be a part of every pre-dental student’s program.

Students seeking admission to dental school take the Dental Aptitude Test, usually late in the junior year or early in the senior year. Application is generally made between August and December for the class beginning the following fall. Virtually all dental schools require the use of a central agency, the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service, when applying for admission.

Science courses required for admission into most dental schools are listed below. Careful scheduling will allow the student to complete these courses in three years.  

Advisor Information

Gregg Wilmes, Ph.D. | Associate Professor | 541 Science Complex | 734.487.0106 | gwilmes@emich.edu

Required Courses: 34 hours

Introductory courses in histology or human physiology, biochemistry and microbiology are recommended. One year of English composition/ literature. On course in sociology, psychology or anthropology.

Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting

Eastern Michigan University offers no degrees or certificates in these areas. Two-year certificates and four-year degree programs are available at the University of Michigan, Ferris State University, and the University of Detroit-Mercy. Two-year programs also are available at numerous community colleges.

Students interested in these programs should plan to transfer after completing their first year at EMU. Liberal arts preparation in English composition, speech, chemistry (CHEM 117 /118 ), psychology, sociology, and political science, plus electives in social science, natural science and humanities, generally will be transferable. More specific descriptions of requirements should be obtained by writing to the schools in question since requirements vary from school to school.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors