May 22, 2018  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 

Public and Nonprofit Administration | BA

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors

Public and nonprofit administration are broad areas of study that combine theory and practice, focusing on the organization of governments and nonprofit entities, their policies and programs, the performance of their governing bodies, and the management of human and financial resources. Public Administration encourages public policies that are responsive to human, social, and economic needs and that are efficient and effective; nonprofit administration shares a similar focus.

The public and nonprofit administration major involves a core of course work in public administration combined with a concentration in either public or nonprofit administration. It may be combined with any number of minors appropriate to student career interests.

Students completing the major and other graduation requirements will be awarded a bachelor’s degree in public administration. They enter a broad range of careers in government service (federal, state, or local), non-profit organizations, or business. Some go on to graduate or professional schools in nonprofit management, political science, public administration, public policy, business administration, or law.

Students are encouraged to take PLSC 112 - American Government | GEKS /PLSC 113 - American Government Honors | GEKS , or PLSC 202 - State and Local Government | GEKS , as a General Education  course prior to the required core courses, completing one or the other within the first nine hours of political science coursework. Students normally complete six credit hours at the 100 and 200 level before matriculating in 300 or 400 level courses coursework.

Pre-service students (those without significant work experience in either a public or nonprofit entity) are required to complete a three-credit-hour internship (PLSC 480L4  or PLSC 486L4 ) or three-credit-hour cooperative education placement (PLSC 387L4  or PLSC 487L4 ) as part of the Required Core of coursework. In-service students are allowed to waive this requirement and substitute one of the restricted elective courses listed under each concentration. Students should consult an advisor about including an internship and special topics courses as a part of their program of study.

For more information regarding internships, visit the department site here.

Department Information

Political Science, College of Arts & Sciences

David Klein, Ph.D. | Department Head | 601 Pray-Harrold | 734.487.3113 |

Advisor Information

 Gregory Plagens, Ph.D. | 601 Pray-Harrold | 734.487.3113 |

General Education Requirements:

For specific General Education requirements, click here  or print a General Education Worksheet  

Major Requirements: 36 hours

Concentration: 18 hours

Choose one of the following concentrations:

Minor Requirement:

This program requires a minor. A minor is to be selected in consultation with a public administration advisor.

Recommended choices include: Aging Studies  ​| Communication  ​| Computer Science  ​| Conservation and Resource Use  ​| Criminology and Criminal Justice  ​| Economics  ​| Environmental Analysis  ​| General Business  ​| Health Administration  ​| Historic Preservation  ​| Journalism  ​| Management  ​| Military Science and Leadership  ​| Public Law and Government  ​| Social Work  | Urban and Regional Planning  ​| Writing  

Note | Students in this major cannot pursue the Nonprofit Administration Minor  or Public Administration Minor .

Program Total:

Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.

Critical Graduation Information

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the on-line catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (GEWI) Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses; that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more than one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credits for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be reached in each major and minor. Only courses taken at EMU and those applied to a student’s major or minor will be used in the calculation of their major and minor cumulative GPAs. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)

General Education Requirements EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas; do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available in the General Education  section of the catalog.

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors