Jul 20, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog This is not the most recent catalog version; be sure you are viewing the appropriate catalog year.

Musical Theatre Minor (for Dance Majors)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors

This minor is shared between two Schools—Communication, Media & Theatre Arts and Music & Dance–and is designed for students majoring in Dance . There are three areas of study:  Music courses, Theatre courses, and Advanced Core courses.

Students who want to become a Musical Theatre Minor must audition for the Musical Theatre Faculty to determine if they will be permitted into the Musical Theatre program. Audition dates and criteria can be found on the EMU Theatre website.

School Information

Communication, Media & Theatre Arts, College of Arts and Sciences

John G. Cooper, Ph.D. | Interim Director | 124 Quirk | 734.487.3131 | jcooper@emich.edu

Music & Dance, College of Arts and Sciences

Diane L. Winder, D.M. | Director | N101 Alexander | 734.487.4380 | dwinder@emich.edu

Advisor Information

Philip E. Simmons | 124 Quirk | 734.487.3131 | psimmon2@emich.edu

Auditioning & Placement

Placement Auditioning/Testing at Music & Dance Audition Days | MT Minors who must take MT Music courses may follow two pathways in those music courses.

Pathway One ​If a student has had little or no Music Theory, they will register for MUSC 100  without taking the Music Theory Placement Test at a Music & Dance Audition Day. Likewise, if a student has had little or no Keyboard training, they will register for MUSC 151  without taking the Keyboard Placement Test, and if a student has had little or no formal Vocal training, they may register for MUED 232  without auditioning for the Voice Faculty at a Music & Dance Audition Day. 

Pathway Two If a student has had prior significant training in Music Theory, Keyboard, or Voice and wishes to place/test out of Music Fundamentals, Class Piano or Voice Class (into more advanced theory, keyboard or vocal studies), they may do so by taking the Placement Test or by auditioning at a Music & Dance Audition Day. If a student does place/test out of the most foundational courses, they can opt for more advanced courses in each of those three areas, still making sure to accrue the same number of required hours in each area.

Related Theory Placement | If a student places into Music Theory I or higher, they must register for Aural Skills of the same level (for example, students testing into Music Theory I  must concurrently take Aural Skills I ; students testing into Music Theory II  must concurrently take Aural Skills II , and so on). If this happens, then the student will need only two credit hours of vocal study (because Aural Skill courses are one credit hour).

Minor Requirements: 22-24 hours

Required Music Courses: 8 hours

Complete eight hours from the following. Placement or audition will determine which courses students take.

Required Theatre Courses: 9 hours

Critical Graduation Information

Each undergraduate student will be responsible for the fulfillment of the requirements or their equivalents of the Eastern Michigan University catalog in force at the time of their initial registration at a college or university or a subsequent catalog including the one in effect at the time of their graduation.

In the event an undergraduate student does not complete the degree requirements within seven years of the date of their original registration at a college or university, the student may be required to have their credits re-evaluated by the academic department(s) of their major/minor in keeping with catalog requirements in force during the year of their graduation.

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the online catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (GEWI) Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses; that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more than one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credits for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be reached in each major and minor. Only courses taken at EMU and those applied to a student’s major or minor will be used in the calculation of their major and minor cumulative GPAs. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)

General Education Requirements EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas; do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available in the General Education  section of the catalog.

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors