Nov 20, 2018  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog

Creative Writing Minor

The Creative Writing Major  (30 hours) and Minor (21 hours) emphasize interdisciplinarity and experimentation through the exploration of poetry, fiction, hybrid genres, and multimedia literature. The curriculum incorporates a comprehensive approach to creative writing and critical reading, as well as experience with new media. Students learn to draw from a range of contemporary artistic practices to explore the relationship between language and aesthetic structures. We offer a sequence of workshops introducing students to a wide variety of writing styles, methods, and forms while enabling students to focus on selected areas of interest. The major in Creative Writing concludes with a Capstone Project and student performance of original work.

The Creative Writing Program promotes community engagement while guiding students’ exploration of the personal and social roles of language and literature. By reading and critiquing their peers’ works, students engage in a culture of collaboration and review. In addition, through classroom visits, specialized workshops, and our BathHouse Events series, students enter into dialogue with authors, publishers, translators, editors, performers, and new media artists.

Elective courses broaden students’ interaction in a larger arena of the arts while providing the expertise required for interdisciplinary approaches to writing. The Program encourages students to consider Art, Philosophy, Communication, Media, Literary Studies, and Theatre Arts as possible minors.

The Creative Writing Program prepares students for a range of writing possibilities and language-centered endeavors.

Department Information

English Language & Literature, College of Arts & Sciences

Joseph Csicsila, Ph.D. | Interim Department Head | 612 Pray-Harrold | 734.487.4220 |

Advisor Information

Rob Halpern, Ph.D. | Program Coordinator | 734.487.4220​ |

Carla Harryman, Ph.D. | 734.487.4220​ |

Christine Hume, Ph.D. | 734.487.4220 |

Matt Kirkpatrick, Ph.D. | 734.487.0399 |

Minor Requirements: 21 hours


Both CRTW 422W  and CRTW 335W  can be repeated multiple times by both Majors and Minors as restricted electives so long as topic subtitles are different.

Critical Graduation Information

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the online catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (GEWI) Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses; that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more than one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credit for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be reached in each major and minor. Only courses taken at EMU and those applied to a student’s major or minor will be used in the calculation of their major and minor cumulative GPAs. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)

General Education Requirements EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas; do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available in the General Education  section of the catalog.

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.