Jul 20, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog This is not the most recent catalog version; be sure you are viewing the appropriate catalog year.

Special Education K-12 Communication Sciences and Disorders Endorsement - Secondary [BS]

Revised Program | Fall 2019

The professional entry-level credential in speech-language pathology is the master’s degree in the field. Professionals with a Master’s degree in the field of Speech and Language Pathology work in the public schools, healthcare agencies, hospitals, and government agencies treating individuals of all ages and their families with impairments in speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Speech and Language Pathology and Communication Disorders is among the fastest growing fields in the healthcare sector.


In the undergraduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders, you will learn about the biological, physiological, linguistic, and neurological bases of communication disorders, as well as the variety of communication disorders that might be present in an individual. This degree will prepare you for consideration for admission into a graduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders.


As a part of the courses in this program, you will have the opportunity to visit and observe Speech and Language Pathologists for treating individuals with communication disorders in various settings. You will also have the opportunity to interact with faculty in the program through small-class instruction and advising who have a wealth of experience in the field. Membership in the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association will provide opportunities for you to meet fellow graduate and undergraduate students in the program, and hear speakers from the field discuss their areas of expertise and share their enthusiasm for their profession. If you are interested in research, students from this program regularly present at the Undergraduate Symposium. Our graduate students routinely receive research awards and scholarships from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association issues Certificates of Clinical Competence to individuals who present satisfactory evidence of their ability to provide independent clinical services to persons who have disorders of communication (speech, language and/or hearing). An individual who meets these requirements may be awarded a Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology or in Audiology, depending upon the emphasis of his or her preparation.

Note: The program at Eastern Michigan prepares individuals to meet the requirements in speech-language pathology only. Specific requirements may be obtained from the advisors in the speech-language pathology program.

Department Information

Special Education & Communication Sciences and Disorders | David Winters, Ph.D., Department Head | 128 Porter, 734.487.3300, david.winters@emich.edu

Program and Advisor Information

Ana Claudia Harten, Ph.D., Program Director, 128A Porter, 734.487.3300, aharten@emich.edu

Contact the department for advisor information.

Teacher Certification

Successful completion of this course of study, in the context of other program requirements, with respect to K-12 teacher licensure, satisfies the undergraduate portion of the requirements for the professional entry-level credential at the master’s degree level. This program leads toward but does not satisfy, the requirements for recommendation to the Michigan Department of Education for K-12 endorsement as a Teacher of Students with Speech-Language Impairment. This program of study meets all requirements of the Council for Exceptional Children and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) covering this field is #057, “Speech-Language Impairment.”

In Michigan, an endorsement must be attached to either an elementary or secondary teaching certificate. Students selecting Secondary Certification must select a teachable minor from the approved list, and students must pass the certification test related to the minor in order to be recommended for endorsement in the minor field.

Initial Teacher Preparation Program Admission

In order to pursue the sequence of courses necessary to complete eligibility for a recommendation for certification, one must apply for and be admitted to the teacher preparation program.

Admission to the teacher preparation program is not automatic. Only those persons who have formally applied are considered for admission. Not all persons who apply become eligible for admission.

Teaching majors and minors are unofficial until program admission. Students pursuing teacher certification should follow the catalog that exists at the time of program admission. It is important that students apply to the teacher preparation program as soon as they have earned 56 credit hours.

Admission to Initial Teacher Preparation Program Candidacy

Students must meet all of the following requirements

  • Completion of 56 credit hours
  • Appropriate cumulative GPA. One of:
    • An overall EMU GPA of 2.5 or higher based on a minimum of 12 credit hours taken at EMU. An EMU GPA of 2.5 or higher in your major, based on at least one course in your major.
    • Transferred 56 credits with a cumulative 3.0 GPA from all previous institutions.
  • A grade of “C” or higher in the following courses (if taken): WRTG 121 , CTAC 124 , Quantitative Reasoning [GEQR] , One Lab Science, PSY 101 , and all of the professional education courses.
  • ICHAT criminal background check, and Statement of Civil/Criminal Convictions. If you answered yes to any of the civil/criminal conviction questions on the application, you will need to provide:
    • A copy of the Judgment of Sentence, or Registrar of Actions, or Certification of Conviction.
    • A written explanation of the offense(s). Application of students with civil/criminal convictions will be carefully reviewed and may take longer to process.
  • Attendance at Group Advising Session required. Your major may require additional advising sessions.

Program Admission

Students must meet the following requirements for admission:

  • A minimum grade of “C+” in SPGN 251  
  • A minimum grade of “C+” in SPSI 335  
  • A cumulative 3.0 GPA 

After completing SPGN 251 and SPSI 335 with a minimum grade of “C+,” students must meet with their advisor before continuing their program of study. Students are required to regularly meet with their program area faculty advisor to expedite their program of study.

Continuation and Graduation Requirements

To be allowed to continue in this Communication Sciences and Disorders program and the Special Education & Communication Sciences and Disorders Department, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
  • Maintain a cumulative major GPA of 3.0 or better.
  • Complete all major courses with a grade of C+ or better. Students will be required to retake any major course in which they earn a grade below C+. A major course may be repeated only once.
  • Demonstration of behaviors which indicate reasonable stability, maturity, understanding, and aptitude, as judged necessary for predicted success as a speech-language pathologist.
  • Students on academic probation will not be allowed to enroll in major courses until the probation is lifted and their overall GPA is 3.0.

The continuance or termination decision will be made by the faculty in the program area. Students may request a meeting with the faculty of a program area to apprise faculty of any extenuating circumstances that may aid faculty in arriving at a fair and equitable decision. The faculty decision will be final and will be transmitted to the student in writing by the department head.

Nothing in this department’s procedures will negate University or College of Education action for students on academic, administrative, or social probation.

Termination from the program - Students who fail to comply with the continuation criteria stated above will be notified in writing of their termination from the program. Students so notified have the right to appeal such termination through normal University channels. In some cases, a student will be required to meet with program area faculty for discussion of academic performance and continuation in the program.

General Education Requirements:

For specific requirements, see General Education  or print a worksheet .  

Major Requirements: 50 hours

To graduate from this degree program, a student must hold a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, a cumulative major GPA of 3.0 or better, and completed all major courses with a grade of C+ or better, at the time of graduation.

Professional Secondary Education Sequence: 22 hours

Pre-Student Teaching Experience Requirements

One hundred and fifty (150) hours of pre-student teaching are required.

  • Fifty (50) hours will be completed in general education secondary classrooms. 
  • Fifty (50) hours will be completed in elementary special education settings. 
  • Fifty (50) hours will be completed in secondary special education settings. 

Some of these hours will be completed in conjunction with education courses. All hours should be documented per department procedure.

Student Teaching

Two (2) semesters of student teaching will be completed, one in a general education secondary classroom (in minor) and one in a special education setting.

Minor Requirement:

This major requires a teaching minor. Students should see their advisor for a list of applicable minors.

Program Total:

Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.

Beginning in Fall 2022, all baccalaureate degree programs for all undergraduates (regardless of catalog year) will require a minimum of 120 credit hours for completion.

Critical Graduation Information

Each undergraduate student will be responsible for the fulfillment of the requirements or their equivalents of the Eastern Michigan University catalog in force at the time of their initial registration at a college or university or a subsequent catalog including the one in effect at the time of their graduation.

In the event an undergraduate student does not complete the degree requirements within seven years of the date of their original registration at a college or university, the student may be required to have their credits re-evaluated by the academic department(s) of their major/minor in keeping with catalog requirements in force during the year of their graduation.

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the online catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (GEWI) Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses; that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more than one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; individual departments/schools conduct the internal review of such courses within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credit for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be reached in each major and minor. Only courses taken at EMU and those applied to a student’s major or minor will be used in the calculation of their major and minor cumulative GPAs. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)

General Education Requirements EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas; do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available in the General Education  section of the catalog.

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.