Following are the minimal standards for admission to the combined degree program. Generally, each item should be satisfied, though the candidate’s overall record is considered. Transfer credits and grades will be evaluated in terms of Eastern Michigan University equivalency.
Undergraduate Program Admission
1) A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
2) A written statement of personal goals
3) An interview with the program advisor
4) Completion of 90 hours of undergraduate coursework including, General Education, ACC 340 - Intermediate Accounting , and College of Business Admission Criteria, as described below:
Students seeking admission to any program in the College of Business must complete 56 credit hours of coursework to include the courses listed below. In addition, the foundation courses for admission to the College of Business must be completed with a minimum earned grade of C- (C required for transfer courses) in each. Students must also have an EMU GPA of at least 2.50.
College of Business Foundation Courses: 21 hours
The following seven COB courses must be completed before COB admission and count toward the total credit hours required for this major.
Choose one course from the following
Non-College of Business Foundation Courses: 15 hours
Graduate Program Admission
Graduate School Application
After reviewing the admission requirements below, please select the appropriate application. The University is transitioning application platforms; pay close attention when selecting the application below.
The program you are applying to may not accept applicants every semester.
For additional information regarding the application process, please see Graduate Admissions or International Admissions.
Minimum Graduate School Requirements
A four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution. In addition, a minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale, or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate program, is required for full admission. Applicants who do not meet minimum admission requirements may be considered for conditional admission. See International Admissions for international applicant requirements.
Applicants must also meet the following program requirements:
- Completion of 120 hours of undergraduate coursework, including course content noted under initial admission above and the undergraduate components (i.e., required and restricted electives)
- A GMAT score of 500 or higher OR a GRE score of 306 or higher. The GMAT/GRE requirement is waived if the student achieves an aggregate GPA of 3.2 or above (combined) in ACC 340 and three additional EMU ACC courses, other than ACC 240 and ACC 241 . Requests to waive the GRE/GMAT requirement are sent via email to the Graduate Programs Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Candidates should apply to the graduate program at the beginning of their senior year. If taken, the GMAT or GRE must be taken during the fourth year to receive the candidate’s score before admission to the fifth year.
To inquire about the specific requirements and to develop the program of study, contact: Director of Graduate Business Programs 102 Hill Hall, 734.487.4444, email@example.com.
Critical Graduation Information
The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the on-line catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.
- Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement.
- Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
- Complete a Writing Intensive (WI) Course in your major.
- Earn a minimum of 45 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
- Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
- Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
- Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
- Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
- Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses; that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more than one major or minor.
- Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
- Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
- Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
- Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credits for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be reached in each major and minor. Only courses taken at EMU and those applied to a student’s major or minor, will be used in the calculation of their major and minor cumulative GPAs. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)
General Education Requirements | EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas; do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available on the General Education section of the undergraduate catalog.
Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.