Skip to Navigation
    Eastern Michigan University
  Feb 19, 2018

Communication and Theatre Arts Teaching Major-Secondary Teacher Certification

Return to Colleges & Departments Return to: Colleges & Departments

Successful completion of this course of study, in the context of other program requirements, qualifies the student for recommendation for the Michigan Department of Education Secondary Provisional Certificate endorsed in speech, certification code BD, and, depending on the minor selected, an additional endorsement. The Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) covering this field is #04, “Speech.” At least nine credit hours must be taken at the 300-400 level.

Communication, Media and Theatre Arts Department Information:

Department Head: Dennis Beagen
Department Contact:
Web site:

Additional department information is also available here  in the online catalog.

General Education Requirements:

For specific requirements refer to the General Education Program .

Professional Studies: 39 hours

Pre-Admission Phase: The Learner and the Community: 8 hours

The following courses require formal admission to the teacher education program:

Phase I: Curriculum, Assessment and the Social Context: 10 hours

Phase II: Content Methods, Literacy and Technology: 9 hours

Phase III: Capstone Experience: 12 hours

Minor Requirements:

This major requires a minor. Select a minor from the approved list of minors for Secondary, K-12  and Special Education-Secondary Programs. English Teaching minor strongly recommended.

Program Total:

Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.


Students will declare a teaching major or minor in conjunction with their CTA program - there is no restriction on General Education course selections - students complete standard College of Education Professional Studies program.

Each student must choose a writing intensive course as part of major completion requirements. Consult your adviser for course options.

Critical Graduation Information:

To earn a degree, all students must:

  • earn a minimum total of 124 credits, excluding credits below the 100-level
  • meet the General Education requirements referenced here .
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits, excluding those earned at a community college. (Some articulation agreements waive this requirement. See specific agreement for details.)
  • earn a minimum of 30 credits from EMU.
  • complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from EMU courses.
  • have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors do not require a minor; see above for specific requirements.
  • earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses in their major at EMU.
  • earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses in their minor at EMU. These credits must be earned in courses different from the 300-level courses used for the major.
  • have earned a grade of ¨C¨ or better in order to apply transfer credit at EMU.
  • have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be earned in the major and in the minor. (Note: some programs may require higher GPA.)

General Education Requirements:

For a current detailed listing of requirements, course options and waiver possibilities, please consult the General Education Program  listing.

  • Area I:  Effective Communication (2 courses, 6 credits)
  • Area II:  Quantitative Reasoning (1 course, 3 credits)
  • Area III: Perspectives on Diversity (2 courses, 6 credits)
  • Area IV: Knowledge of the Disciplines (8 courses, 25 credits)
  • Area V: Learning Beyond the Classroom (Satisfy two of six areas through a combination of experiences and/or courses)

The General Education requirements listed above apply to all students who began their undergraduate program at EMU during or after the Fall 2007 semester. Students who began their undergraduate program at EMU before the Fall 2007 semester may have different general education requirements to fulfill; consult your academic adviser for additional information. Students who transferred to EMU may have different general education requirements based on MACRAO or articulation agreements; consult your academic adviser for additional information.

University Information:

For more University information please refer to the online catalog at

Return to Colleges & Departments Return to: Colleges & Departments