Skip to Navigation
    Eastern Michigan University
  Feb 23, 2018

Music Therapy Equivalency Certificate

The Music Therapy Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program is for students with a music degree from a National Association of Schools of Music accredited institution (or an equivalent institution outside of the United States) and an interest in specialized studies that will lead to meeting the eligibility requirements to take the certification examination in music therapy administered by the Certification Board for Music Therapists. Successful passing of this examination leads to the person being credentialed as a music therapist-board certified. The courses within this equivalency certificate program are approved by the American Music Therapy Association, and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.

Students must satisfy admission requirements of the University, the Department of Music and Dance and the Music Therapy Program. Please note that an audition is not required unless students want to take applied music lessons on their principal instrument while completing this certificate. Applied music may be required in secondary instruments to prepare the student to pass the EMU Music Therapy competencies. Students must be admitted into the music therapy post-baccalaureate certificate program before enrolling in required course work. Requirements for admission into this certificate program include the following:

  1. Submission of the completed application, non-refundable application fee and all official undergraduate and graduate transcripts to undergraduate admissions in the Office of Admissions.
  2. The earned equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited college or University.
  3. A personal interview with the coordinator of music therapy is required. This interview will explore the applicant’s (1) interest in and general knowledge of music therapy, (2) music skills and (3) personal potential for being a successful music therapist.
  4. Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency.

Certificate Requirements
The post-baccalaureate music therapy equivalency certificate program must consist of all music therapy courses required for the Bachelor of Music Therapy degree.

Courses in the sciences and in other areas to meet the American Music Therapy Association’s educational standards are required.

Students must successfully demonstrate the EMU Music Therapy competencies in guitar, piano and voice before being eligible to enter the required clinical training (internship). Copies of the criteria for the competencies can be obtained from the coordinator of music therapy.

A specific program of study will be developed by the coordinator of music therapy, in consultation with the student, once the student is admitted into the equivalency certificate program.

Music and Dance Department Information:

Department Head: David Woike
Department Contact:
Web site:

Additional department information is available here  in the online catalog.

Additional Requirements: 0-12 hours

Other courses may be required depending on the course content of the student’s previous degree(s). Additional courses that are often required are:

  • PEGN dance activity courses or DANC course (2 hrs)

Certificate Total: 31-43 hours

The number of required hours for the certificate depend upon the student’s undergraduate degree.

Critical Graduation Information:

To earn a degree, all students must:

  • earn a minimum total of 124 credits, excluding credits below the 100-level
  • meet the General Education requirements referenced here .
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits, excluding those earned at a community college. (Some articulation agreements waive this requirement. See specific agreement for details.)
  • earn a minimum of 30 credits from EMU.
  • complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from EMU courses.
  • have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors do not require a minor; see above for specific requirements.
  • earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses in their major at EMU.
  • earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses in their minor at EMU. These credits must be earned in courses different from the 300-level courses used for the major.
  • have earned a grade of ¨C¨ or better in order to apply transfer credit at EMU.
  • have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be earned in the major and in the minor. (Note: some programs may require higher GPA.)

General Education Requirements:

For a current detailed listing of requirements, course options and waiver possibilities, please consult the General Education Program  listing.

  • Area I:  Effective Communication (2 courses, 6 credits)
  • Area II:  Quantitative Reasoning (1 course, 3 credits)
  • Area III: Perspectives on Diversity (2 courses, 6 credits)
  • Area IV: Knowledge of the Disciplines (8 courses, 25 credits)
  • Area V: Learning Beyond the Classroom (Satisfy two of six areas through a combination of experiences and/or courses)

The General Education requirements listed above apply to all students who began their undergraduate program at EMU during or after the Fall 2007 semester. Students who began their undergraduate program at EMU before the Fall 2007 semester may have different general education requirements to fulfill; consult your academic adviser for additional information. Students who transferred to EMU may have different general education requirements based on MACRAO or articulation agreements; consult your academic adviser for additional information.

University Information:

For more University information please refer to the online catalog at