The Bachelor of Science in Digital Media Production is a comprehensive degree where students can structure their major to emphasize radio, television, film production, film studies, or webcasting. It is a four-year, well-rounded degree program with a strong liberal arts foundation. This is crucial to be successful in an industry that is not just about pushing buttons.
Students will be given a solid grounding in effective audio and visual-related communication basics, including courses in production, electronic media/film theory, and history. With a mix of hands-on practicums and background courses, students learn how to create and why.
Special topics courses offer unique material beyond our normal curricular offerings, including Writing for Episodic Television, Science Fiction TV Survey, The History of Animation, Media Law, Streaming Media, Web Media, and Webcasting Fundamentals. In addition, EMFS students can participate in…
- Study Abroad, opportunities that enhance the student experience and open up the world in exciting media centers like London, Rome, and New York City.
- Eagle Radio, a student-run radio station
- E-TV, the campus cable system that provides student-produced programming
- Eagle Filmmakers Association, a community for filmmakers and movie enthusiasts at EMU,
- an internship program that offers real hands-on experience. Our students have interned locally with ESPN and WEMU and around the country in broadcasting and feature films.
You’re not just a student at EMU. You’re also a writer, director, producer, on-air talent, and all the other jobs that go into making electronic media productions. Our graduates have gone on to work in radio, television, film, webcasting, and academia.
This is a STEM-designated program (see OPT Extension).