The Eastern Michigan University (EMU) Physician Assistant (PA) Program strives for excellence and believes that all successful applicants will demonstrate that they strive for excellence. The admission process is highly competitive. The following Admissions Information is meant to provide the prospective applicant with general information to allow for proper planning for admission into the EMU PA Program.
The EMU PA Program has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The EMU PA Program anticipates matriculating its first class in May, 2014, pending provisional accreditation in September, 2013.
Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation Standards. In the event that provisional accreditation is not received, the EMU PA Program will not commence. The EMU PA Program plans to begin accepting applications during the summer of 2013 (exact dates and deadlines are not yet available). The application will be available online (not yet available for access).
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university must be completed prior to matriculation. Candidates may apply while their degree is in progress, but degree completion demonstrated by transcript evaluation is necessary prior to matriculation into the PA Program.
Grade Point Average
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required at the time of application. This GPA can be attained with a cumulative undergraduate, a completed graduate, or an overall GPA. A cumulative undergraduate GPA includes all college courses taken prior to receiving a bachelor degree and undergraduate courses taken after receiving a bachelor degree (such as pre-admission courses). The overall GPA includes all undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate courses (not doctoral). It is the expectation that the average successful applicant has a GPA much higher than 3.0.
All of the following pre-admission courses must be completed and fulfill all associated requirements (see notes below) prior to matriculation into the EMU PA Program (date of completion deadlines will be published soon).
3. General Chemistry with Lab
4. Organic Chemistry with Lab or Biochemistry with Lab
5. Microbiology with Lab
6. Developmental/Lifespan Psychology
Notes on Pre-Admission Courses:
- Pre-Admission Courses: All pre-admission courses must be completed with a minimum grade of “B-“, consist of at least 3 semester credit hours, and be current within 10 years of matriculation into the EMU PA Program.
- Separate Lab & Lecture Grades: For pre-admission courses with separate grades assigned for Lecture and Lab sections, a minimum grade of “B-” is required in both sections.
- College or University: All pre-admission courses must be taken at a regionally accredited college or university in the United States. Pre-admission courses may be taken at traditional four year universities or community colleges. Both traditional classroom settings and online courses from these institutions are considered.
- Anatomy & Physiology: These may be taken as separate Anatomy and Physiology courses or as part of Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology II. A substantial portion of these courses must focus on humans and encompass virtually all body systems. Taking a lab with these courses is recommended, but not required.
- Quarter Hours: For those enrolled at institutions that use a Quarter system, Quarter credit hours will be converted to Semester credit hours as follows: five (5) quarter hours = three (3) semester hours.
- Combined Letter Grades: Applicants enrolled at institutions that use a combined letter grading scale (such as “AB” or “BC”), all pre-admission courses must be “A”, “AB”, or “B”. Receiving a grade of “BC” does not meet the minimum grade requirement.
- No pre-admission course may be taken on a “credit/no credit”, “pass/fail”, or credit given “CLEP”.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) Scores
The GRE revised General Test or GRE General Test must be completed prior to application. There is no minimum score necessary for admission or a time limit for taking the GRE prior to application. The Eastern Michigan University GRE Institutional Code is 1201.
Two Reference Letters are necessary and it is recommended that the letters be written by:
1) Health care professional or other supervisor qualified to evaluate the applicant’s interpersonal skills and ability to meet the demands of functioning as a physician assistant student and professional
2) Science Instructor or Health Profession’s Advisory Committee qualified to evaluate the applicant’s potential for success as a graduate level student and future physician assistant.
Clinical Experience / Health Care Hours
A minimum of 500 hours of clinical experience must be completed prior to application. Clinical Experience / Health Care Hours can occur in a volunteer or paid position in a wide range of health care settings.
Examples of approved clinical experiences include: PA/MD shadowing, registered nurse, nurse aide, medical volunteer experience, paramedic, radiology technician, clinical laboratory technician, exercise stress testing, athletic training internship and many others.
Examples of experiences that do not count toward clinical experience / health care hours: personal care of a friend/relative, accompanying an individual to a health care appointment, medical office clerical staff, hospital greeter.
Preference will be given to candidates with direct patient care experiences, particularly those that required specific training and/or licensure. Preference will also be given to candidates who have completed greater numbers of hours of clinical experience.
Please keep in mind that the EMU PA Curriculum is very rigorous. No advanced placement or advanced standing is granted and no transfer credit or credit for past work or other experiences are accepted.
Technical Standards, Criminal Background Check & additional Admission Requirements & Information coming soon!
Please continue to monitor the EMU PA Program website: www.emich.edu/pa. EMU PA Program: 734-487-0090.