Nov 13, 2019  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 

Secondary Education Vocational Technical Endorsement Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors

Successful completion of this program, in the context of other program requirements, qualifies the student for recommendation for the Michigan Department of Education Secondary Provisional Certificate, endorsed in Vocational Technical, certification code VT. The student also qualifies for the Interim Occupational Certificate.

School Information:

School of Technology Studies - College of Technology

Wade Tornquist, Ph.D., School Director (I)

Dean, College of Technology

109 Sill Hall
(734) 487-0354

STS Office

122 Sill Hall
(734) 487-1161

School Website

Advisor Information:

Program Advisor: Ron Fulkert
Phone: 734.487.4330

Required Work Experience:

Work (within last 5 years)

  • Option I: 4,000 hours total (2 years)

  • Option II: 2,000 hours total + one semester EMU co-op course work, + MOCAC/NOCTI test

Select a concentration from the following: 18 hours

Whenever possible, courses should be taken at EMU. Credits to satisfy this requirement may be taken at another institution. Students must meet with advisor to ensure coursework satisfies concentration area.

  • 47.0604 - Automotive Technician Concentration 

  • 47.0603 - Collision Repair Technician Concentration 

  • 46.0000 - Construction Trades Concentration 

  • 15.1301 - Drafting & Design Concentration 

  • 47.0101 - Electrical/Electronics Concentration 

  • 15.0000 - Engineering and Technology Concentration 

  • 10.0301 - Graphics/Visual Communications Concentration 

  • 48.0501 - Machine Tool Operation Concentration 

  • 47.0613 - Medium/Heavy Truck Technician Concentration 

  • 10.0202 - Radio & TV Broadcasting Concentration 

  • 48.0508 - Welding, Braising, and Soldering Concentration 

Minor Total: 24 hours

Critical Graduation Information:

The following are minimum requirements for all bachelor’s degrees awarded by Eastern Michigan University. Some majors and minors require more than the minimum in one or more of the areas below; students are urged to consult the online catalog for the requirements of their particular programs.

  • Earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level and above. Courses with numbers below 100 will not be counted toward this degree requirement. At most 8 credit hours of physical education (PEGN) activity courses will be counted toward this requirement. A Bachelor of Arts degree requires completion of one year of college credit in a world language.
  • Meet the requirements of the General Education program (see information below).
  • Complete a Writing Intensive (WI)  Course in your major.
  • Earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year college or university; courses taken at community colleges cannot be used to meet this requirement. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits from courses taken at EMU.
  • Complete 10 of the last 30 hours for the degree from courses taken at EMU.
  • Have a minimum of 30 unique credit hours in their major and 20 unique credit hours in their minor for a total of at least 50 unique credit hours between them. Some majors that require 50 or more hours themselves do not require a minor; students should check requirements of the selected major in the undergraduate catalog to see if a minor is required.
  • Earn no more than 60 credit hours in one subject area (prefix). Credits in excess of the 60 maximum will not be counted toward the minimum of 124 credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Earn the minimum number of credits in 300-level and above courses in each major and minor as specified below - these credits must be earned in distinct courses, that is, no course can be used to fulfill this requirement in more that one major or minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 6 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each minor
    • Earn a minimum of 9 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that requires a minor.
    • Earn a minimum of 15 credits in 300-level or higher courses at EMU in each major that does not require a minor
  • Transfer credit will be awarded for courses taken at colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the recognized regional accrediting bodies only if the courses are college-level (equated to 100-level or above at EMU) and the student earned a “C” (or 2.0 on a 4 point scale) or better. Transfer credit may be awarded on a case-by-case basis for college-level courses in which a “C” (2.0) or better was earned at institutions outside the U.S. or at non-accredited U.S. institutions; the internal review of such courses is conducted by individual departments/schools within EMU, and additional documentation may be required. Please note: EMU awards only credit for transferred courses; grades are not used in the calculation of an EMU GPA.
  • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses taken at EMU in order to graduate. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be reached in courses taken at EMU in each major and minor. (Note: some programs may require a higher GPA - check with your program advisor.)
General Education Requirements:

EMU’s General Education Program requires students to choose from a menu of approved courses in several different areas do not assume that other courses in the same department or with similar names will fulfill these requirements. A detailed description of General Education requirements is available on the General Education section of the catalog: General Education  

Students who transferred to EMU may have modified general education requirements based on Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) or articulation agreements; consult your academic advisor for additional information.

University Information: Consult the online catalog at

MTTC Subject Area Test

Starting January 1, 2013, Students seeking licensure in a secondary or K-12 area are not required to take the MTTC subject area test in their minor area. Students who elect not to take the test in their minor will be required to sign a statement indicating that they understand that they will not be endorsed in their minor area and will not be eligible for teaching positions in their minor unless they pass the minor subject area test within five years of completing field experience and course requirements.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Majors/Minors