Jul 17, 2019  
2013-2014 Graduate Catalog 

Specialist of Arts in Special Education (SP)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Degree Type

Advisor (Students Last Names A-L): John Palladino, Ph.D.
128 Porter

Advisor (Students Last Names M-Z): Steven Camron, J.D.
128 Porter

Program Advising
The Department of Special Education offers a specialist of arts degree designed to prepare highly qualified leadership personnel in two general areas of study:

  1. Administration and supervision of special education programs; and

  2. Curriculum development/assistive technology.

Eastern Michigan University’s advanced professional education programs support inquiry, advocacy and leadership in education for a diverse and democratic society. In addition, the master’s level programs in the Department of Special Education produce professionals with the comprehensive knowledge, skills and attitudes to deliver a continuum of habilitative/rehabilitative services to persons with special needs, and to their families, within a diverse society.

Admission Requirements
The graduate student seeking admission to this degree program is required to:

  1. Meet the Graduate School admission requirements;

  2. Possess a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, with a minimum 3.3 GPA;

  3. Have three years of documented professional experience in special education;

  4. Have an endorsement in one area of special education;

  5. Submit two letters of recommendation to include one letter verifying three years of successful professional experience in special education, and one letter from a faculty member or other person knowledgeable of candidate’s academic competence;

  6. Have a successful personal interview;

  7. Achieve an acceptable score on the Graduate Record Examination; and

  8. In the case of International students, provide a score of 90 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB).

Program Requirements
The program requirements for the Specialist of Arts degree include:

  1. Completion of a minimum of 33 hours beyond the master’s degree;

  2. Achievement of an overall GPA of 3.3 (B+) or better;

  3. Recommendation from the Specialist’s degree committee for continuance in the program. This is to be done upon completion of 12-15 hours of course work, and before internship and thesis or independent study. The committee will consider GPA, faculty recommendations, demonstrated competence in academic and professional work, and rate of progress in the program. Students must demonstrate behaviors that indicate stability, maturity, understanding and aptitude as judged necessary for predicted success as a Specialist in special education administration/curriculum;

  4. Successful completion of an internship;

  5. Achievement of passing scores on oral and written examinations near the completion of the program; and

  6. Completion of all other requirements of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.

Exit Criteria
Criteria are to meet all the objectives listed previously for graduate study in special education, as demonstrated by successful completion of:

  1. All course work in program of study (minimum GPA of 3.3);

  2. Approved internship;

  3. Thesis or independent study; and

  4. Oral and written examinations.


Specialist Program

Concentration Courses: 13 hours

Select from either option I or option II:

Option I: Administrative Strand (SPAD)

Thirteen hours selected in consultation with the graduate advisor.

Option II: Curriculum/Assistive Technology Strand (SPCD)

Thirteen hours selected in consultation with the graduate advisor.

Culminating Experience: 8 hours

Required by all specialist’s degree candidates:

  • Thesis/Independent Study (4 hrs)

Program Total: 33 hours

Undergraduate Courses for Graduate Credit: Special Education

The following courses may be elected for graduate credit. A maximum of nine hours of approved 400-level course work may be permitted in the earning of any graduate degree.

If you intend to enroll in any of the following undergraduate courses for graduate credit, you must submit a request form to the Graduate School to receive permission before enrolling in the course; otherwise, you will receive undergraduate credit.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Degree Type